Saturday, March 22, 2008

i'm just trying to make you sing

I few days ago I saw someone had posted some of their top favorite songs for worship and that made me think about some of my favorite songs. I am going to be thinking about my favorite for corporate and personal worship but these past few days made me think about my favorite songs for the Easter triduum. (This year's songs for lent are here)

1. How Deep the Father's Love For Us: Stuart Townend
Nothing does this song justice except to listen to it. It's the kind of song that makes me feel like writing anything is just in vain. Watching The Passion makes me hear this song.

why should I gain from His reward? I cannot give an answer. but this I know with all my heart: His wounds have paid my ransom.

2. Sweetly Broken: Jeremy Riddle
Last night this song just started going through my head as I thought about what it means to be drawn into Christ's sacrifice.

At the cross You beckon me,
draw me gently to my knees
and I am lost for words, so lost in love,
I am sweetly broken- holy surrender.
I am broken before You, Lord.

I was under You wrath, now through the cross I'm reconciled!

3. The Wonderful Cross: Chris Tomlin & JD Walt (based on Isaac Watts' hymn)
I love theologically deep hymns, they are the best.

See from His head, His hands, His feet, Sorrow and love flow mingled down! Did e’er such love and sorrow meet, Or thorns compose so rich a crown? Oh the wonderful cross! bids me come and die so that I may truly live.

4. Fairest Lord Jesus: (translated by Joseph Seiss from the original German, written by Jesuits- sweet!) I'm listening to Christy Nockels.
Jesus is fairer, Jesus is purer, Who makes the woeful heart to sing. Beautiful Savior! Lord of all the nations! Son of God and Son of Man!

5. Surely We Can Change: David Crowder
Watching The Passion last night I couldn't help but hear an echo of this song when Judas kisses Jesus on the cheek.

And the problem is this: we were bought with a kiss.
But the cheek still turned, even when it wasn't hit.
And I don't know what to do with a love like that.
And I don't know how to be a love like that.

6. Beautiful Jesus: Kristian Stanfill

Your love oh God displayed for us
As crimson covered over sin and shame
Your majesty for all to see
In raging storms and quiet cloudless days

Beautiful Jesus
Beautiful Savior
Nothing is greater, brilliant Creator,
Friend of mine!


These are just the songs that have been running through my head these past few days...





No comments: