Tuesday, April 8, 2008

Empty & Beautiful: I Rejoice

Well, folks, when I thought Matt's new release was setting me up for disappointment this song utterly won me back. I think it is one of the songs that really showcases Matt's artistic "voice" in that it is a song he owns. I mean this in the sense that if I heard someone else try this song I think it would be impoverished and I appreciate Matt's unique imprint.

I really like the insistent go-for-broke vocal quality (reminiscent of the "I will run to You" that I love in his cover of "Come to the Water"), the music is among the most interesting on this album, and the words are perfectly non-linear. I think his choice to alternate simple and effective words of praise with really strong images and theological truths is working extraordinarily well.

No comments: