Thursday, April 17, 2008

variations on a theme

I am so small I can barely be seen.
How can this great love be inside me?

Look at your eyes. They are small,
but they see enormous things.

- Rumi


I heard this line in the middle of mewithoutYou's song, "Four Word Letter, Pt 2," and immediately thought of David Crowder's "Everything Glorious."

My eyes are small but they have seen
the glory of enormous things
which leads me to believe
there's light enough to see that

you make everything glorious
you make everything glorious
you make everything glorious
what does that make me?
I have to admit that I'm dorky enough to really appreciate things like shared source texts. I feel the same way about little musical riffs that just-maybe pay homage to each other, allusions to other artists or people in songs, or songs that complement each other in terms of lyrical growth or theme. I think this is why I like making themed playlists- I really like to sythesize and connect the dots.

For example I love Psalm 24, here are some of my fave songs that reference it.

Jon Shirley: Who Can Ascend?
Chris Tomlin/Charlie Hall: Give Us Clean Hands
Rich Mullins: My One Thing
Matt Redman: Lead Us Up the Mountain, Did You Feel the Mountains Tremble?

No comments: